How to support this blog?

To support this blog, you can hire me as an OmegaT consultant/trainer, or you can send translation and project management jobs my way.

Search the site:

Easily launch scripts from Spotlight

I've been advertising AppleScript a lot here. Automating a task is something, but easy access to that automation is quite important too.

Since I try to stick to Apple solutions and free software* I prefer using Spotlight instead of all the smart launchers that we have for macOS.

What I do is that I call my script names that are easy to call first in Spotlight. A few screenshots speak louder than words so here we are:

The series that start with ">" usually is scripts that I use to open something.

See how just typing ">" suggests ">BB". That ">BB" is what I use to open the files selected in Finder with BBEdit.

The one below is ">Tedit", short for "TextEdit" and opens selected files in TextEdit, etc.



If I type "c" after ">", I get the following list of choices. ">command" is to launch an arbitrary command in Terminal, ">Capture" is to use org capture in Emacs (see here and here for more information) and ">cd" just opens a Terminal tab on the front Finder window, or selected Finder folder.


When I use "<" to initiate the search, I get a different list. That series is for scripts that usually act by themselves. "<text file" creates a text file in the front Finder window and proposes to open it in BBEdit for editing, "<facturation" is an invoicing script for the job selected in Finder, "<job" is a job managing script that creates a job hierarchy in Finder based on a mail, along with an event in calendar, and then "<xls2tmx" is a TMX converter for multicolumn Excel reference data (I'll publish it when it's more polished, but creating XML data with AppleScript is documented here).


I have a few more scripts (a dozen) that I routinely call with Spotlight, which I find totally sufficient for my needs.

As you know, hitting Command+Enter when you have a selection in Spotlight is a way to reveal that selection in the Finder if it is available. So when I want to edit a script, I start by calling it in Spotlight, I hit Command+Enter when it is selected and then I call ">SEditor" (Script Editor) or ">debugger" (Script Debugger) on the selection, to open it with the appropriate application...


Ok, I do have BBEdit, Microsoft Office and Illustrator... And maybe a few others...

Popular, if not outdated, posts...

.docx .NET .pptx .sdf .xlsx AASync accented letters Accessibility Accessibility Inspector Alan Kay alignment Apple AppleScript ApplescriptObjC AppleTrans applications Aquamacs Arabic archive Automator backup bash BBEdit Better Call Saul bug Butler C Calculator Calendar Chinese Cocoa Command line CSV CSVConverter database defaults Devon Dictionary DITA DocBook Dock Doxygen EDICT Emacs emacs lisp ergonomics Excel external disk file formats file system File2XLIFF4j Finder Fink Font français Free software FSF Fun Get A Mac git GNU GPL Guido Van Rossum Heartsome Homebrew HTML IceCat Illustrator InDesign input system ITS iWork Japanese Java Java Properties Viewer Java Web Start json keybindings keyboard Keynote killall launchd LISA lisp locale4j localisation MacPort Mail markdown MARTIF to TBX Converter Maxprograms Mono MS Office NeoOffice Numbers OASIS Ocelot ODF Okapi OLPC OLT OmegaT OnMyCommand oo2po OOXML Open Solaris OpenDocument OpenOffice.org OpenWordFast org-mode OSX Pages PDF PDFPen PlainCalc PO Preview programming python QA Quick Look QuickSilver QuickTime Player Rainbow RAM reggy regular expressions review rsync RTFCleaner Safari Santa Claus scanner Script Debugger Script Editor scripting scripting additions sdf2txt security Services shell shortcuts Skim sleep Smultron Snow Leopard Spaces Spanish spellchecking Spotlight SRX standards StarOffice Stingray Study SubEthaEdit Swordfish System Events System Preferences TBX TBXMaker Terminal text editing TextEdit TextMate TextWrangler The Tool Kit Time Capsule Time Machine tmutil TMX TMX Editor TMXValidator transifex Translate Toolkit translation Transmug troubleshooting TS TTX TXML UI Browser UI scripting Unix VBA vi Virtaal VirtualBox VLC W3C WebKit WHATWG Windows Wine Word WordFast wordpress writing Xcode XLIFF xml XO xslt YAML ZFS Zip